Wednesday, April 19, 2006

tricky

The hardest part of teaching my Bio 101 labs?

-3 Hours on my feet with no chance to go pee!
-Getting them into groups of five. If we move to a different room it's easy because they self-sort. If we're staying in the same room and they're already seated, it's like pulling teeth. I assign groups, they grumble. I tell them to arrange their own groups and they look at me blankly and don't move. Argh.
-Trying to foresee what questions and problems they will have with the material so that I can answer them. I'm about 50/50 on this. If I don't know the answer, we go look it up together.
-Judging how long the whole lab will take. Yesterday ran surprisingly quick and my kids were all sitting around bored waiting for the time I had assigned to do review. Some of the students had left the room to take a break though, so I couldn't just start without them. At least I know for this morning's class.
-The slide projector didn't have slides in it and I hate using the computer to do the slides at the end because someone always screws up the slideshow, and then I look like an idiot.

Aside from that, things are going pretty well. My students respect me and seem to like me. Nothing has gone terribly awry. I've got probably 90% of their names down. Also, they seem to be learning. Which is the most important thing.

2 Comments:

At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really love your blog and I appreciate your comments on mine. I added your link to my blog. Keep writing!

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger Radagast said...

Regarding timing, I've never really gotten a good handle on that either, even after running the same lab for years (probably doesn't help that most of my labs are very open ended). I just play it by ear, and try to make sure the students never leave for a long break.

And did you say "slide projector"? I thought they stopped making those things in the last century :) If they've got a PowerPoint of the slides, you might want to just get your own copy of the file so you can customize it and know exactly what you'll be presenting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home