Tuesday, September 19, 2006

super-saturated

My qualifying exam is getting very very close. I am beginning to panic slightly as there are still several things I'd like to review before then, as well as re-re-reviewing everything else. I feel good about my research proposal and topics tangential to that. The rest is making me nervous, despite having a practice exam last week that went decently. I have this feeling that I'm going to miss an important detail somewhere that will make or break the exam.

That and my head feels so full of stuff I'm not sure I can cram anything else in there! Repetition is going to be key here. Otherwise I have something down decently the day I review and then it falls right back out again. My brain is super-saturated with this stuff and I need to add another few cups of information to the solution. What does brain precipitate look like, anyway? Maybe that's what dreams are...

Also, very shortly after the exam is finished I have a wedding to attend. Not just any wedding, but my sister's wedding. I'm the MOH. My dress is not yet altered because the post office has my undergarments somewhere but are not delivering them. I do not have shoes because I can't find any I like. We don't have a wedding gift yet and the registry is pretty empty. I haven't planned the "bachelorette" party though that will probably be fairly easy to pull together once I'm back in Hometown.

Stressy stress stress. Once I'm in Hometown things will be better. I just have to get to that point, which means passing the damn exam and getting all this wedding stuff together. Simultaneously. I so need this vacation.

4 Comments:

At 11:01 AM, Blogger B said...

Hang in there! It will all work itself out. Just focus on what you need to for now (the exam) and worry about the rest after that. You don't need to cram every single detail into your head. Most faculty realize you cannot memorize every single thing you've learned. It's important to be able to explain what you have read as far as it pertains to your proposal and in the broader sense if it applys (in the big picture sort of way). I'm sure you will do great! Remember they aren't out to get you, they just want to hear about your proposal and know you understand what you wrote about. After my oral defense for comps, I was sort of like, Oh, that wasn't nearly as bad as I had pictured it. Plus, remember that you are excited about this proposal (hopefully :) and this is wonderful opportunity to share your enthusiasm for this research to an audience that is ready to listen. I was the MOH for my sister too, and there is always something that goes awry, but just being together and celebrating is the important stuff to focus on! Enjoy the wedding!
Ps sorry for the long comment!

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Leslie M-B said...

What b said. It took me two months to recover from my quals, and just about everyone else in my program had the same experience--recovery was harder than the test itself!

As far as shoes go, I recommend taking your dress to Nordstom and asking for help from a young, hip-looking saleswoman. I did that for my sister's wedding, and the woman emerged with EIGHT pairs of appropriate shoes, all of them cute and/or elegant.

 
At 8:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How's it going?

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Katie said...

I just had mine and passed. I hear you about the stress. You will be surprised at the amount of information that will come out of your brain during questioning. It is true, that it was not as bad as I expected. The only advice I can offer is that try to keep the big picture in mind.

Still recovering from mine.

Best of luck.

Take care.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home