Tuesday, July 18, 2006

awkward

I sucked it up and started going to the gym again. I've discovered that going before work was sabotaging my brain function, but working out at the end of the day that doesn't matter so much. The biggest drawback of the end-of-the-day workout is the crowd. Many many more people, and a lot of them are doing the Show Off method of exercising. It is at this time of day where you see guy after guy walk up to the reclining sit-up table with huge round weights in hand. The guys doing 5 reps of an arm curl at 300 lbs and then walking off with a swagger. Girls in spandex asking the guys to "teach" them how to lift weights. Blargh.

I am not in shape. I am overweight. It sucks to be working on an eliptical next to the human model for Barbie. However, you can be completely anti-social at the gym and no one minds. The most awkward thing though, is seeing people you know.

Who is the worst to run into at the gym?

A) Several of your former students, who wave to you while you're doing chest presses
B) Your department chair, who nods at you from the pull-up bar
C) A random faculty member who you don't know well, but you know he recognizes you
D) One of your fellow grad students from your cohort, who hasn't seen you much lately
E) An old ex-boyfriend

I'm going with B. I'm not sure that E was even the right person, but I wasn't going to stare at him to find out. Your vote? Who was the most awkward person you've run into at the gym?

5 Comments:

At 8:06 AM, Blogger Umm Yaqub Bilal said...

I admire people like you! Well done for going to the gym keep it up! Most of us get as far becoming a member and think that paying the monthly subscription is what it takes to whip back into shape without even attending lol! Your on the right track and soon enough you will see the results... dont let others put you off as the only one getting anything out of your sweat is you and the only one losing if you dont lose sweat is you! Hmmm im not sure which one id vote for perhaps f a persob who is much bigger than me but is working harder and smiling all the way! Keep it up girl!

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

yay for going! Is there a different place you can go where you might not see the people you know? Or a different time? Or maybe it will bug you less over time to see these people?

All of those would be awkward to see at the gym. :(

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Honeybee said...

Thanks for your comment invisible. I have to pay in the summer and I hate to waste money, so that has been a good motivator. During the school year it's free for students and much easier to skip!

B*: This is the gym on campus and it it much much more affordable as well as on my way home. I'm considering using some of the equipment they have scattered around the upstairs level instead of watching the TVs in the main room with everyone and their brother.

I also think it will bother me less over time.

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger B said...

Yay for going to the gym! I feel the same way. I would have to vote for B or C that is always awkward, if they look at you like they should know you but don't know where to place you. I hate that...

I also hate working out next to those people who view you as entertainment. Last week I had this guy next to me who turned to look at me about 25 times in 30 minutes. Sir I am not exercising for your entertainment... if I look hot, sweaty, gross, tired whatever! Please use your own TV, attached to your machine, for your viewing pleasure and leave me in peace!

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger apparently said...

In grad school, one of my friends saw our advisor in the locker room naked! Advisor started talking to him about research!! This is not a joke. I would have died. So, I'll say F) naked advisor

 

Post a Comment

<< Home